"This is a straight Grenache made up of two vineyards- 60% of the wine came from Alkina in Greenock, on the western side of the Barossa Valley. Young vines, but certified organic and biodynamic fruit. The remaining 40% of the wine came from Shea & Kylie Preece's 90+ year old bush vine Grenache block in Ebenezer, at the northern end of the Barossa Valley. Shea and Kylie's vineyard has not seen any chemicals since 1989, so it is a real gem in terms of biodiversity and chemical free farming Both parcels of Grenache were hand picked and fermented separately in one tonne open fermenters using the native (wild) yeast found out in the vineyard and in our winery. Foot stomped twice a day to control the level of extraction in the wine. Basket pressed after 9 days on skins, then put to old French oak, using a mix of barriques, hogsheads and puncheons.
Smells like raspberries and fresh mint. Or like the strawberries and ice cream you use to get at the Adelaide Tennis Open during summer. It has some brambly forest fruits kind of thing going on, and some spicy high tones, too.
Tastes like fresh raspberries and strawberries, with bright crunchy acidity. The tannins are really fine, but they hang around for ages! It screams of a spring day in the sun, or a summer afternoon on the lawn, served slightly chilled. Don't think, just drink!." - Barossa Wine Cartel
VARIETALS- 100% Grenache
REGION- Barossa Valley
SUBREGION- 60% Greenock, 40% Ebenezer